Use WELLog as a teaching tool to help students develop personal and community health strategies in college and beyond. College may be the first time many young people have considered their health habits separate from the influences of their family or home community. Created by a health communication professional and certified health education specialist, WELLog complements many health-related courses. Educators have integrated WELLog into participation grades, discussion groups, paper topics, and exam questions.
"WELLog was a great addition to the Strategies in Stress Management class at American University. The students said it kept them honest and on track. It was a great way for them to get off their laptops and mobile devices and tune in to themselves for a few minutes each day. I would recommend WELLog as a classroom tool."
WELLog facilitates unique learning opportunities for students in health-related courses and degree programs. With WELLog, encourage students to:
- Consider elements of a healthy lifestyle.
- Practice setting health goals and track choices.
- Become aware of habits and patterns, and link them to feelings and outcomes.
- Identify barriers and create solutions that work for them as young adults.
- Establish a healthful diet and regular exercise routine.
- Build mindfulness, accountability, and confidence.
- Take a break from screens and mobile devices.
- Enjoy the positive brain benefits of writing by hand.
- Apply knowledge of behavior change theories.
- Practice motivational interviewing and stress management techniques.
- Use plain language when conveying health information.
- Work through behavior change challenges and strategies with peers, educators, and health professionals, helping to train more empathic individuals and future health professionals.
- Consider how non-digital tools can benefit future patients and clients with differing abilities and resources.
"WELLog was easy to integrate into my health promotion courses. The weekly reflection pages really helped spur engaging group discussion and pair learning objectives with personal experience. I love this journal and will use it again."
- WELLog is currently available in two lengths: 5 and 10 weeks.
- WELLog 5 is popular for college courses. This version is ideal for shorter projects and often works well for young adults new to daily journaling. It encourages students to record daily for one week without making significant changes and then engage in four weeks of active change.
- WELLog 10 allows more time for the natural ebb and flow of behavior change. It encourages students to record daily for one week without making significant changes and then engage in nine weeks of active change. Sometimes educators divide this longer version into graded and optional (or bonus) periods of tracking.
- Contact us if you have questions about how to incorporate WELLog into your courses.
- Your bookstore can contact us to place an order or students can order directly from this site.
We value your feedback and connecting with educators. Let us know what works best, and where we can improve. Your insights and experiences can help inform our next WELLog journal.